Monday, July 20, 2009

Needy


No, this is not my baby. *smile* But I will have one soon...

I remember when I had my first baby.  The labor was long, I was tired, and when they placed her in the hospital bassinet beside me, all I could think was, "I want her back in there!"
I seem to remember feeling overwhelmed that this little baby was going to need me--for everything. Nourishment, love, care, dressing--well, you mamas know.
And now, I have the same sort of feelings. Because I've "been there, done that", I know a newborn needs that much more. Let's not forget I have four other children--and one of them is a teenager. =)
I never understood why God gave mothers a needy baby--lots of work--when you feel the worst: emotionally (hormones) and physically (you just gave birth!) It just made more sense to me that the mother should be in the most rested state in order to care for her newborn properly.
I began to see that this is just where God wants us. He wants us in a state of being needy. He wants us in a place where the only thing we have is Him to draw strength from.
I love this quote from Joni Eareckson Tada:
"When you are leaning on Him, you are pressing closer.
The weaker we feel, the harder we lean on God.
And the harder we lean, the stronger we grow."

Aimee has an encouraging post on being "needy" and having gracious acceptance in that place. I like what she says:
"I shudder at being needy, and here I am at the cusp of entering a "needy" season of life. A season where I must ask for help. I must confess my needs to a community. A season of feeling "undone" in many ways...my i's won't be dotted and my t's won't be neatly crossed."

I could not have expressed that better myself.
So...I will embrace this needy season in my life.  I need the Lord daily to take on this endeavor of raising five children! I need help with meals, emotional support, prayer, childcare--whatever!! Though it is hard to write that, I need to express it and accept it.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as the pathway to peace;
taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
trusting that He will make all things right, if I surrender to His will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
and supremely happy with Him forever in the next. Amen.
~Reinhold Niebuhr "The Serenity Prayer"

photo by Ta