Thursday, September 24, 2009

Burn-out

This past year and a half I have learned more about burn-out than I ever wish on someone.
To me, burn-out is:
  • not trusting the Lord
  • doing things in my own power
  • biting off more than I can chew
  • carrying my own burden/creating unnecessary burdens for myself
  • not recognizing my limits
  • not recognizing my own needs as a child of the Lord
  • feeling as if I am in a "pit"
There are also many other ways burn-out can be manifested. 
Here is an excellent article.
I also like to read these helpful posts to point me on the right path to recovery, and so that I don't get in that place again. Very, very good stuff from a wise mother. Another great post here.

Things that have helped me on the road to recovery:
  • Trusting God/restoring my relationship with God
  • Letting others love me and minister to me. (as mothers, we sometimes think we can do it all, and to let others minister to us is sorely needed.)
  • Making a list of priorities 
  • Asking for help and prayer
  • Being good to myself
  • Cutting out blog reading and "Christian book" reading. (too much information, too much mind clutter, too much propensity to put unnecessary burdens on myself, my husband, and my family)
  • Giving myself lots of quiet space to think and reflect and to "Be still before Him." so that He can "gently lead me" in my mothering.  
There are countless other things I do and can do to take better care of myself so that I do not get into a place of burn-out. This list is just a start. I encourage you mothers to really think about your priorities and how and if you are caring for yourself. It's so easy as a mother to give, give, give, without realizing that we need care as well. Because if we are not healthy, then our families will not be healthy. Listen to Him, let Him lead you gently, dear mothers. Everyone is unique, and what worked/is working for me may not work for you. That is why we have to seek Him personally, as He tailors a life lovingly just for us.


... God has allowed in the lives of each of us some sort of loss, the withdrawal of something we valued, in order that we may learn to offer ourselves a little more willingly, to allow the touch of death on one more thing we have clutched so tightly, and thus know fullness and freedom and joy that much sooner. We're not naturally inclined to love God and seek His Kingdom. Trouble may help to incline us--that is, it may tip us over, put some pressure on us, lean us in the right direction.
~Elisabeth Elliot

7 comments:

Jen said...

I've been going through motherhood-burnout as well. Thanks for sharing your own ideas and insight, and I'm going to go click those links right now!

tonia said...

there is so much wisdom here, andrea. it's the real kind too, the stuff you have earned the hard way. this is part of your gift now, the truth that is part of your voice and the gems you are going to leave for others who are traveling this same way.

God gives beauty for ASHES...ashes are what is left when something in us has burned up or burnt out. first there has to be a dying and a losing and then there comes something exquisite. we just rarely realize what is going on while it is happening. we feel like we're failures, but God has another perspective.

i am excited to see you walk out into this new day!

love you!!

Chrysanthemama said...

Burn-out = "not trusting the Lord"
That is the most real thing I've heard today. Thank you.

Kate Wicker @ Momopoly said...

I've been really struggling with burnout as well. Thank you for this encouraging post.

God bless.

Karen said...

Thank you so much for this. I have read it once but I am going to go back through in addition to your links and really ponder this. I have been going through a season of burn out and I am really interested to talk with God about what He is trying to rid in my life.

Rose said...

i'm glad you mentioned "christian book" and blog reading... i never thought of it that way before, but i realized that those things really are kind of mentally exhausting & in some ways, we trade the best, excellent, right things for the "good"... the devil can be very tricksy, eh? :)

Marie said...

Thank you for posting this. Good advice :)