Friday, October 23, 2009

Grace

My almost 4 year old wrote the letter "S".
It was pretty good, if I say so myself. Looked like a "5".
"Aww man, it looks like a '5' " he said.
"No, that's good, honey, 'S's' are hard to do!" I said.
Which made me think: I need to give myself more grace.
For my almost four-year-old son to write the letter "S" is pretty darn good, if I say so myself.
To do what I've done the past three months with a new baby is pretty darn good if I say so myself.
Grace.
We don't know where people are in their lives. What they are thinking, what they are feeling. What they are going through, what challenges they face.
We need to extend mercy and grace and forgiveness and love....always.
But mostly us mamas? We need to extend grace to ourselves.
Give yourself a pat on the back, mamas. You're doing so well!
Have a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

Linda said...

I have visited a time or two Andrea and have decided I need to make this a regular stop.
As a grandmother, I think your post is filled with great wisdom. As I look back on the years when my children were at home I realize what amazing grace the Father extended to me - and I probably should have extended it more to myself. Even now, when I look back with regret at some of the mistakes, He reminds me of grace.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Taking care of your little ones is a wonderful thing. I want to look back and know that I loved on them. mbb

Karen said...

Thank you so much for this. So often, I feel like I am not doing enough for my babies. Recently, God has really been working on my heart on this. Since I have eased up on the expectations on myself, my husband has thanked me because our home is so much happier and more calm. Sometimes our excessive efforts do the opposite of what we wanted.

Kimberly said...

thank you for this, it was a delightful reminder. (although hard to do)

Elise said...

Oh, you're so eloquent. New mama's (and old ones!) really need to hear this... I need to hear this... you give grace to us, my friend, and it overflows so we can extend it to ourselves and others... thank you.

So much love... xo