Thursday, November 12, 2009

interruptions (Repost from August 2006)

For some reason, I wake up most mornings expecting that my days will go smoothly and that the mini-goals I have presented in my head will go as planned. On the whole, I do not expect interruptions, in fact, frequently, I dismiss them as a bother.

But Romans 12: 1-2 has been in my thoughts lately:

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."


Which makes me think: what if the interruptions are part of God's will?

When I think of "God's will"--I think of the future--His plan. Big ideas and decisions. But life is lived out in moments, and it's the details of those moments that matter.

So today I chose to (try) to look at my "interruptions" as part of His will. Seeing how they fit in the great scheme of things. If I didn't, some things I would have missed:

~my daughter interrupting me in dinner to show me her fairy house she built outside. If I would have reacted differently, she might have decided to leave me be and not show me her creation again.

~daughter 3 interrupting me for a little "love time". If I would have dismissed her she might not have gotten her "love cup" full.

~my husband calling me to tell me he "just wanted to hear my voice." Nice, right?

~and lastly, best of all, daughter 2 interrupting me while I am on the phone (which she knows is not ok, but did it anyway) to tell me she "asked Jesus into her heart that day when daddy was outside with [son] and I was in the kitchen doing work".

I was on hold, anyway.

So, I hung it up, kneeled down on her level, looked her right in the eyes and said, "I know you did, honey. I know you did. "


I know of no greater simplifier for all of life. Whatever happens is assigned. Does the intellect balk at that? Can we say that there are things that happen to us that do not belong to our lovingly assigned "portion"("This belongs to it, that does not") Are some things, then, out of the control of the Almighty? Every assignment is measured and controlled for my eternal good. As I accept the given portion, other options are canceled. Decisions become much easier, directions clearer, and hence my heart becomes inexpressibly quieter. A quiet heart is content with what God gives. 
~Elisabeth Elliot

Revisiting this post after reading this great devotional here.

10 comments:

Aimee said...

so so good!! :) I am taking a hot pot of soup tonight to a family whose husband just lost his job and the mama is having to work nights full-time as a nurse (plus she homeschools). It so awesome to be able to love someone tangibly like that and be willing to listen to how He wants us to love....in "life lived in the moments".

Mac an Rothaich said...

Glad you shared this again. I will have to reflect on it more. I truly agree and work hard at living in the moment. I even went as far as to make a 'gasp' store bought pizza last night so I could have peaceful time with the kids who really seemed to need me AT THAT MOMENT... I was raise to work hard and do it all RIGHT but I find that doing it right with my people is more important then doing it right around the house... I know but I don't always practice so again I appreciate this post!

babydoc said...

Bless you for sharing this flourishing mother, I was deeply encouraged.

Looking forward to meeting you in heaven!

Liz, UK

Betsy norwood said...

Ohhh, a. This is good stuff. I need to inhale this post!!
What a beautiful reminder of our Lord sharing in all of our moments, even the so-called interruptions. Thanks sweet friend.

Karen said...

Thank you for opening your heart to God and sharing what was right at the right time. I needed to hear this so much. It has just made my day so much better.

Michelle said...

A wonderful perspective- I'm so glad you shared this!

Heather said...

Dear Andrea,
What an encouragement to come here and read this post. If you remember, could you share which Elliot book that quote came from?
This view of God is not welcome in many Christian circles yet it is what sustains me as child of God.

Haddock said...

The small interruptions make life interesting.

Children of Eve said...

This is where "real" life is lived, in the interruptions. And it's a good life.

Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?