Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Phil. 4: 8--Slowing to see

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

I don't remember much about last Christmas. I do remember driving, in the snow, by myself, to the hospital because I was dehydrated from throwing up so much. I couldn't keep anything down. I remember thinking: this is the lowest of the low.

I remember being in bed--all day and all night--my trash can by my bed for vomiting. I couldn't get up if I tried. I was sick. Real sick. Christmas Day I ate Fruit Loops for breakfast (it was the only thing I felt I could eat), laid down on the couch, watched the children open their gifts and them promptly ran to the bathroom, projectile vomiting all the Fruit Loops. It was a horrible time.

This Christmas I'm feeling much better. And I've got a little four-month-old baby who makes me forget about those dark days of hypermesis. It was the worst pregnancy sickness I've ever had. I felt so alone, so sick, so helpless. But this new baby--oh he brings me much joy.

I am relishing the Christmas season this year. I am slowing down, taking it all in. I am so thankful I can celebrate it in health.

Philippians 4:8 is written on a splatted note card above my sink. I look at it while washing dishes or in passing. I try to obey the Lord when He tells us to be thankful in all things. That we are to set our minds on what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy.

When we do this, in the midst of trouble or heartache, or pain, or just daily living, our eyes are opened to His abundant way of life. We weren't made to focus on our troubles. We can find things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy in every situation.


Join Ann as she explores gratitude at The Gratitude Community.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you for this post. Here I sit, it is late at night with a seven month old baby that is both sick and teething. He is showing no signs of going to bed. Sleep deprivation is my nemesis. I am so thankful I have this precious child to stay up with.

Amy Scott said...

Andrea,

I know very much (now) that hg also needs to be treated mentally/emotionally. I've never met a woman with hg that didn't sink into depression, due to no fault of her own. Being tortured day and night? Absolutely will make anyone depressed. HG is pure torture.

I think that's an aspect that we miss in the treatment options.

I didn't want to admit it because I'm not "weak" or not the type to slink into that. I pull myself up by the bootstraps, right?

But hg messes with your mind after it finishes ravaging your body.

Amy Scott said...

p.s.

You're not alone.

Don't ever be ashamed.

Hugs to you...

Aimee said...

Ooohhhhh friend, what a blessing it was to walk those dark days with you. Seriously I don't know how I could have gotten through it without the commiserating :) Phil. 4:8 is a mantra for me too...there's power in them words :)

Ann Kroeker/Not So Fast said...

This is a beautiful, powerful, personal post. Thank you for sharing your reality, and for inspiring us to join in "relishing the Christmas season this year."

You wrote: "I am slowing down, taking it all in. I am so thankful I can celebrate it in health."

May we all slow down to take it all in and be thankful!

Grateful for you,
Ann

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

I have Phil 4:8 framed and hung here, Andrea...

You teach me much about this fight for joy.

Every blessing you on this Christmas -- such a gift for you and yours, this year.

You bless, again and again...
All's grace,
Ann