Friday, January 15, 2010

Candlelight

Winters in New York are hard for me. I grew up in the South where winters were mild and Spring came very quickly. Winters are long here, I dislike the cold, I dislike bundling up (let alone all of my children), I get lonely during the winter months when it seems everyone just wants to stay in their homes and not venture out. I miss the sunshine and the light it brings.

Every year I try to embrace winter in some small way, even though it is my least favorite season. There are some things about winter here I do like: cozy scarves, being able to wear warm sweaters and warm boots, fires, watching my children delight in the snow, the peaceful feeling a snowfall brings, the winter sunsets. See--there is always *something* good in something you do not like! =)

This winter I am loving candlelight. For Christmas decorations this year I bought lots of candles to light around my house. I liked it so much I kept them up and I try to light them every night. It gives my home a wonderful glow, and everything feels so cozy and warm, which makes me feel so thankful for my abode. If I can't have sunlight, then I'll take candlelight!!

I like to buy glass candle holders at the craft store (so cheap) or even old vases from Goodwill, and fill the bottom with stones and rocks that my children collect. Then I put the candle on top of the rocks and it makes such an easy decoration. I usually buy cheap unscented candles but I have a few scented candles I like when I can splurge:

These candles are my favorite. They are spendy, but well worth it. I love to put these little candles in the bathroom or in odd places around the house. They are small but give out a big scent! And they are "natural" smells, no chemical smell. I tend to like essential oil smells, I'm not a big fan of Yankee candles. =)

This is also one of my favorite kind of candle. Made of natural soy.

Don't forget about Etsy. They have a great selection of handmade candles. You can't go wrong there.

Do you enjoy candles? What kind do you like? Please share!

Jesus said of His people: "'You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.'" (Matthew 5:14-16, NIV)

13 comments:

Kate said...

Oh yes, I'm with you. There's something about candlelight's flickering that relaxes the way ocean waves do...the natural movement or something. I find it so hard to buy candles online since you can't smell them first! I'm tempted to try the birch one you recommend, tho'.

Jen said...

Mmmm...yes, candlelight is so warm and comforting, and can make an ordinary day seem special. I need to find some candles that don't bother my husband...scenty ones seem to disagree with him. Maybe naturally scented and/or soy candles would be better!

Rain said...

I need to light more candles. I'm in upstate NY and it can get soo dark.
I've been enjoying the plain Trader Joe taper candles-great price!
And I have a Mrs. Meyers winter scent (peppermint & vanilla) candle from last year which I love.

Terry @ Breathing Grace said...

Sheesh, Andrea. Now I feel really guilty, lol. Here you are finding something to be thankful for in the dead of a NY winter while this FL mother whines about a couple of weeks with a high of 45.

Heaven help me!

Thanks for tha challenge to gratitude.

Andrea said...

Terry, I have no choice. I've been here for 10 plus years. You get tired of whining! =)

Gourmet Candles Distributor said...

I cannot stand winter no more either. I burn my gourmet candles every night and they have no chemicals or paraffin in the wax. I just call them my little luxury for the evening after the kids homework is done, dinner is cook and dishes, I am totally ready for them to flicker and take me away.

Christine said...

I love candles too, although I haven't purchased many new ones lately! I have a couple that I rotate for my morning quiet times
(wish they were regular, but at least I get a couple in a week...) but I need to get more!

I don't mind winter, actually. I can't stand summer! I'm sure, though, that I could find something good about it if I tried. :)

Linda said...

We've moved in opposite directions Andrea - I lived in NY for the first 36 years of my life. I absolutely understand how difficult the winters can be (the main reason we moved to Texas), but you have such a wonderful attitude. I think the candles are a great way to make your home warm and cozy. There is something very special about candle light.
Thanks for sharing the candles you love. I think I'd like to give them a try.

Lisa said...

We're in NY, too. Syracuse to be exact. I struggle during Winter to keep the "Cheer" factor up in our home. I love your candle inspiration. Thanks!

Mrs Wibbs said...

...Am loving the 'new-look' blog Andrea! So peaceful and simple, it makes one want to linger...
I, also, am really not a fan of winter but, like you, try and embrace it as best I can; I have bought myself a light therapy lamp this time round, but have also been delighting in lighting candles around the house - when I remember to, that is!
Anyway, sorry I don't visit as often as I'd like to, but it's always good to keep in touch via FB :)
Mrs Wibbs xx

Prairie Chick said...

candles bring me comfort and joy in during a season that traditionally has a tendency to send me tumbling into the depths of despair. I just love to see candles flickering against the dark window panes of winter and keep them burning nightly in all of our main rooms. I usually burn cheapo votives (because I go through a LOT) but have some jar candles from Gold Canyon for special occasions and their special "flavors" are a real treat.

Sandi said...

I love candles and they do drive away the grays of winter (westcoast). I will remember to light a few after I unpack them next week.

A nice candle, good book and great coffee here I come.

Artistique In said...

its really love its thanks for sharing us
http://www.artistique.in/Candles