Friday, January 01, 2010

New voyages

"The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." ~Marcel Proust

As you can see, the layout of my blog has changed quite a bit. I'm in the process of giving it a new look for the new year. It's been almost 3 years since I've had the same layout, and while I love the old layout, I'm looking to switch it up some. So hopefully by the end of January I'll have something! ;)

Many people around the blogosphere (do people even say that anymore?) are coming up with words to define 2010. Last year my word was "health". At the end of 2008, I was in a bad place mentally, spiritually and physically. So my goal for 2009 was to focus on getting myself healthy. I have gone through a lot in 2009. Much sadness mixed with much sweetness. Much confusion mixed with much enlightenment. Much staying in one place with discovery. But I am thankful for where I am now, and I look forward to the journey ahead.

I discovered this quote above by Proust the other day and I just can't get it out of my mind. Much of 2009 has been about me accepting where I am and looking at it with fresh eyes: the eyes of the Lord. When we see things through His vision, things are so much more clearer. 
This year I don't want to search for new landscapes, but want to see things with new eyes: God's eyes. I have learned that my circumstances do not define me, but that if I rest under His wing, that He protects and leads me in His way despite what is going on around me. How wonderful yet how painful to learn that--to really, really learn that.

Here's to a brand new year, faithful readers!!
May we all have new eyes to what He has in store for us!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited to see the new layout. That photo of you is just beautiful! Happy New Year.
dorothy

Emily said...

I was just poking around the blogosphere this evening and found this post of yours. I love serendipitous stumbling.

I have just discovered The One Word project this week and decided to give 2010 a word of my own. I've just posted about it. My word for 2010 is Endeavor.

Also, I made the cookies from your previous post. They were a hit!

Happy New Year!

TAMI said...

Ready to start this new year with you!

Courtney said...

Off we go! Looking forward to the new discoveries!

Anonymous said...

Even so

Aimee said...

you're off to a great start! and you DID gain health this past year and I know all of what you learned will come tumbling out in words on this blog and will bless and enrich so many (including me :)

Linda said...

I have come to believe that this learning to rest in Him - no matter what the circumstances of our lives - is a life-long lesson; one that the Father puts great value on. For me it has been foundational. When I am able to fully trust in Him, I experience the peace and hope and joy He has promised. It is a difficult lesson to learn, one I've had to learn over and over again. He is so good and patient and kind.

Emily said...

I am so eager to hear more about your 2009 and your journey toward health ... blessings to you this coming year.
emily

Dorit said...

I really like your thoughts on this quote. His eyes ...I hav so much to learn, really learn in this area. Thanks for the reminder and a happy new year to you, like your new profile picture :)

Natalie said...

Thanks for always making me think when I stop by here! I am so grateful that 2009 brought me your friendship :)

Anonymous said...

thanks andrea! l,ec

Miriam said...

Sounds like grace. God's peace and joy on your journey, Adrea.