Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Prayer

Every time the Lord Jesus faced an important decision, He prayed. When He was being tempted to do things by the world's methods instead of the Father's, He prayed. (Matt. 4) When it was time to choose His disciples, He prayed the entire night. (Luke 6:12) If the Son of God required a night of prayer in order to determine the Father's mind, how long might it take us in prayer to clearly determine our Father's will? ~Henry T. Blackaby, Richard Blackaby "Experiencing God Day-by-Day"

I am a firm believer in the power of prayer. I am also a firm believer that prayer is the best choice in any situation. Prayer brings us closer to the Lord, and opens us up to what He wants to tell us. Before I do, I aim to pray. I am convinced it is what we should "do" before we "do" anything.

Doing this brings me peace. How wonderful it is to be able to go to the Lord of the Universe and converse with Him about all matters of our hearts. He is able to do exceedingly beyond our wildest dreams--if we let Him.

I learned a lot about prayer when I was sick in bed for three months with extreme morning sickness. I could not "do" anything. I was really just trying to survive. I was, essentially, an invalid. I understood what it was like to be terminally ill and unable to function. I am not exaggerating! =) Thankfully I was not terminally ill, but just pregnant, and had a clear light at the end of the dark tunnel I was in. And a beautiful baby at the very end! =)

When I could not "do", I prayed. That was my "doing". I "gave up" worrying for Lent last year. Instead of worrying, I prayed. That was paradigm-shifting for me. It taught me the best thing I can do in any situation is pray.

When I think about Jesus and the hours and hours He spent in prayer, it makes me want to pray even more. The Lord God had to pray for guidance!!! That is saying something powerful! Living in this world is very confusing. I am tired of trying to figure it out by myself! I am tired of trying to figure people out by myself! People disappoint, people are unreliable, people are self-centered. (I being one!) The world doesn't give us truth. The world misinforms. The Lord does not disappoint or misinform. He is reliable. He has answers. He is not confusing. Hallelujah! I breathe a big sigh of relief because of that.

Some thoughts on prayer:

4 comments:

Aimee said...

excellent post, Andrea. you always encourage and inspire me in the area of prayer. "Before I do, I aim to pray"...best quote! I am writing it down.

Courtney said...

Awesome, Andrea. Thanks for the insight today. I'm really working on this area in my life. I think about Brother Lawrence who through his simple day to day duties in the monastery, learned how to lead a more prayerful life.

Love your new blog face!! Only one suggestion...the highlighted words are hard to read.

rebeccaquarles said...

Love your thoughts on this matter. Prayer is something that brings such peace and comfort to me, but it is definitely an area in which I need to do more of.

Prairie Chick said...

sweet new digs, girlie. been pondering prayer lately. I read a quote, can't remember by who... but it was someone real famous and dead (I think) :P Anyway, the gist of it was; "I've never prayed for half an hour, but I've never gone a half hour without praying."

Love that. Totally want to learn prayer without ceasing. like breathing.