Thursday, February 25, 2010

Being a good friend

Lately, I've been thinking about friendship. Specifically, what makes a good friend. As said here:

"Friendship is one of the most enduring and wonderful gifts of being alive. Friendship is universal in humanity. Young children start friendships with the sharing of curiosities, toys and laughter. As we grow, some friendships develop with us for a lifetime providing companionship, support, and love for each other’s beings. I believe that friendship, throughout our lives, serves as a mirror of our very essence. The love, laughter and concern we share with friends gives us a sense of self which can sometimes be thwarted within our family relations. Our friends become our historians, secret keepers and comrades on life’s journey. In the years I have worked as a therapist, the friends of my patients have filled my practice space with their presence as fierce defenders, continual cheerleaders and often lifesavers."

I never want to take the friendships in my life for granted. They are precious gifts. Friendships help me survive LIFE. They are God's precious gifts and I want to be good stewards of them. I NEED friends in my life: to laugh with, love with, be with. And I want to nurture those friendships because they are so special to me. If someone takes the time to invest in my life, then I want them to know I appreciate them, and I want them to know I am thankful for them. 
Here are some links to posts on friendships that I return to often:

Make time for Godly friendships
A "go-to" friend
Two are better than one...
Joy--the fruit of giving love away
Acts of service

This is what I aspire to:

1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ,
if any comfort from his love,
if any fellowship with the Spirit,
if any tenderness and compassion,
2then make my joy complete by being like-minded,
having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit,
but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

4Each of you should look not only to your own interests,
but also to the interests of others.

5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

6Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
being made in human likeness.

8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

-philippians 2:1-11




photo by: jay wilkie

4 comments:

Joyfultoria said...

This is such a beautiful post, Andrea.

Indeed friendship is SO important, and so amazing. I have recently gone through a painful time in my life, and lost my family, with no real contact with my extended family. So my friends are my all.

So much to learn about being a 'better' friend, and taking the time, to nurture current friendships. Definitely worth it! :-)

Thanks for posting.

Vicky, UK.

Linda said...

Beautifully written thoughts Andrea. I agree absolutely - friends are a precious gift. There is nothing more comforting than being able to share your heart with someone who cares deeply about you. Joys shared are that much sweeter; sorrows shared make the burden somehow lighter.

emily said...

so sweet and good ...

i've been thinking about friendships a lot lately as well, and even posted on my blog about it today.

blessings!!

Deborah Granick said...

Hello there,

My name is Deborah. Can I just say I LOVE you blog. I found it this past summer I think? I am not sure I have ever commented though - but every time you post it seems so right on, so refreshing, such an encouraging grace filled word. Its seems as though its always what I need to hear. Thank you :)

Anyway I thought I should comment and say hello. So hello!

Bless you today!

Deborah Granick