Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Zeke


This morning we put our beloved cat Ezekiel "Zeke" to sleep....
He was fifteen years old--and in bad health.
It was hard, but it was the right thing to do....
I was fine in the vet's office....I held his limp body and told him he was the best cat.
When I got home and saw his food dishes, I lost it.
People grieve in different ways.
He really was the best cat. So good with the babies, and yet a fierce fighter in the wild (a.k.a. our yard).
When the vet gave him the tranquilizer, he freaked--hissed and bit my husband.
So unlike him (he is a gentle beast)--yet so very like him: he went out with a fight.

I think this experience just made me see how precious all life is--it reaffirmed that for me...
Thanks for being the best cat, Zeke.

12 comments:

Prairie Chick said...

aw. this made me all weepy. love to you all today. praying for that lump in your throat to ease and for the good memories to flood your soul.

MrsAlbrecht said...

::hugs:: to you, Andrea. How sweet it is that the Lord is kind enough to bless us with such great pets, even if just for a while.

He was beautiful.

Praying for you and yours in your loss.

Much love,
SJA

Courtney said...

sending a warm hug your way ;) Zeke's been around for a long time and had a blessed life, especially to be part of your family... blessed as a cat could be ;) If cats could talk, I'm sure he'd agree.

Sandi said...

awww. So sad. It's so hard to let our furry companions go.

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is so hard because they're such a part of your everyday life. I wish you comfort.

Linda said...

Oh, I am so sorry Andrea. Our kitty was named Zeke too, but she was a girl. She was so tiny when we got her, we didn't know she was a girl :-). We decided to stick with Zeke anyway.
She lived to be twenty years old! It was definitely a sorrowful day when we had to put her down.
They do work their way into our hearts.

Natalie said...

Aw, so sorry about your loss :( Hugs to you and your family!

Famaddict said...

So sorry, Andrea. xo
~L

Beverly said...

Andrea - I'm so sorry to hear about your precious cat. Love to you and your family as you miss him.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry...so sad and hard...15 years is a long time.

Hope you all find some joy during these hard days.

God's grace and peace to you
Love,
maddie

Momma to Bug n' Bear said...

That must have been one of the hardest thing you ever had to do. I am sorry for your loss.

-Desiree

Children of Eve said...

WAhhh! I can't believe it. So sad. I didn't know he was doing that poorly.