Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Contentment

"A man said to the universe:
'Sir, I exist!'
'However,' replied the universe,
'The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation.' "

"In his famous poem, Stephan Crane reminds us of an important truth: God is not indebted to us. If life is boring, then it is boring. We work to make it better, but our duty throughout the working is contentment. If life is tough, so it is tough. Our duty is contentment. If there is suffering, why would we expect anything different? Our duty is contentment."
~Richard Swenson "Margin"

1 comment:

Linda said...

These quotes are so convicting Andrea. So often I find myself complaining when things don't go the way I think they should. I am learning the discipline of contentment - and it comes with rich blessing.
Thank you for these.
Have a wonderful weekend!