Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Every perfect gift...

This week has been a hard week. Hey, what am I saying? The past two months have been rough.
The month of May had my husband away on business for a total of almost three weeks. He was home for the weekends but during the week was gone. This month he has been working late almost every night. (Late means, I don't see him at all.) I'm living the life of a single mom! I'm not complainin', just explainin'. I know that a lot of you moms out there understand how hard it is to have your husband be away or work late. One of my most popular and most searched for posts on this blog is: How to survive when your husband works late or is out of town.

This week was especially hard. The cumulative weeks of my husband not being around to help with dinner and bedtime--plus I just miss him--have worn me out. The baby is teething, the kids are arguing too much.....I'm-a goin' craz-ay!
Today I was at the grocery store looking for hydrangeas. They are one of my most favorite flowers. I wanted something to cheer me up, and fresh flowers seemed to be the thing to do it.
Of course I couldn't find any. I texted my husband to bring home some hydrangeas when he came home from work. You can find all kinds of flowers on the streets of New York City.

As I was putting away the groceries, I got a phone call from the local florist in our town. Would I be home? There was a delivery for me. For me??!! I've never had flowers delivered to me except when I had a new baby. For a minute I thought of my husband. It is just like him to do something like that. (Yeah, he's awesome.)
The doorbell rang. Imagine my surprise when I saw the delivery guy standing there with not one but TWO bouquets of flowers!! Stunned, I took them inside. I knew who the hydrangeas were from, but the sunflowers?
Maybe my husband sent me another bouquet? He does like sunflowers. And he knows how hard the weeks have been for me.
I looked at the card and realized that the sunflowers were not from my husband but from my good friend Betsy. Last weekend we watched their children while they went out of state for a wedding. The flowers were a thank you, but her words to me were so special.
I ask you, reader: When have you ever had two surprise bouquets delivered to your door out of the blue???
I cried upon reading Betsy's note and my husband's sweet words.
I felt loved.
I felt like--God knew just what I needed today.
He always does.
He knew I needed to feel loved.
He knew I needed to have something pretty to look at in my home.
A tangible reminder that He is always there.

You have been a refuge for the poor,
a refuge for the needy in his distress,
a shelter from the storm
and a shade from the heat.
~Isaiah 25:4

So when I (tried) to rock a screaming, teething baby tonight, I thought about my hydrangeas.
When I had to corral all the children for dinner and baths, etc, etc, ETC!! I thought about the sunflowers. And it made my job much easier.


Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. ~James 1:17

12 comments:

Linda said...

Yours is the second post like this I've read today. I just love it Andrea. It is as though the Father reaches down through the thoughtfulness of others and gives us a huge hug. His timing is always perfect. I rejoice with you!

emily said...

andrea,
i love both what you've written and how you've written it! you've shared w/such candor; with such real words and a real voice. thank you.
i smiled reading this ... appreciating the way our Father loves each of us and meets us at our point of need, even and especially, undeservedly.

Anonymous said...

It's such a nice story. It's good to feel loved. You have a blessing in your husband, and in your friend.

A single mother probably wouldn't be at the grocery store in the middle of the day shopping for hydrangeas, though.

A single mom probably doesn't get to buy a lot of flowers.

It is hard when you have a husband who can not help as much as usual or keep you company due to work, but having a husband with a good job is a blessing.

Single moms don't have that blessing so it's quite different to really be a single mom, however much you feel you might share their experience when your husband works long hours or travels.

I hope God looks out for the single moms, too.

Famaddict said...

Anonymous, He looks out for everyone. Sometimes we just don't realize it because we're not looking out for Him.
Andrea, this post makes me want to smile and cry at the same time. No matter how bad things are, sometimes all it takes to keep us going is a little tangible love. You gave me that gift yesterday when you stopped by to help me. Thank you, dear friend. I'm so glad you have two bouquets of love to enjoy this week.

Andrea said...

Anonymous, my comment about being a single mom was all in candor. =)
Of course He gives grace where it is most needed!
I didn't mean to offend or take lightly the plight of a single mother. I have the utmost respect for single mothers and realize that my husband being away is nothing compared to that role, that I only have "tasted" a little of what that entails.
I'm sorry if you were offended.
L~ that was my whole point~ and you understood: sometimes all it takes is a little tangible love to keep us going. He is so good.

Michelle said...

What lovely blessings you received! Those reminders of being loved are priceless!

payton said...

I love that He is involved in the details. When we need a little "happy" he provides. Big things and little things, He is always with us. Wish I could send you my hydrangeas...they are huge!

Natalie said...

Two kisses from the Lord to encourage and bless you! What a beautiful gift! Thank you for sharing it. It is such an encouragement to see His tangible work in our lives.

Btw, I LOVE hydrangeas, too. They are my absolute favorite flowers. My kids are expert at spying them around town since I am always squealing, "Look, (insert color) hydrangeas!"

Courtney said...

;) enjoy those beautiful flowers and the reminder of His tangible love found in friendship and flowers.

Tracey Monroe said...

It is such a precious thing when we're shown over and over how the Lord knows exactly what we need and when we need it. What a sweet, sweet blessing. The sunflowers are just gorgeous.

Kristi said...

enjoyed this post, Andrea :)

Kristi said...

(and I AM a single-mom) :)