Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ages and stages

There are two stages of childhood that I haven't quite figured out: the newborn stage and the teenager stage. And then there is the adult stage, which has nothing to do with childhood, but is for another post. I just don't get adults sometimes. They are supposed to act like adults, but, well....sometimes they don't.
Same with teens. They want you to treat them like an adult--to let them go and do and have more freedoms and leave them alone, and yada yada yada, but then they go and do something like make fried chicken in your kitchen and leave the mess in the sink and all over the counters, while you are at the pool with 4 young kids, and you come home and find it, and your exhausted and you just can't believe that someone who seems so mature could do something so.....selfish and immature. I'm just sayin'. But--adults can be so immature, too. (Didn't I say that?)
Newborns are this sweet, warm, yummy bundle who squawks and smells so different (but so delicious) and sleeps all these odd hours and can't see your facial expressions and wants to nurse all these odd hours and you are totally taking care of this being on pure instinct and to a person who likes to know and plan, well this is just plain hard.
I'm just sayin'.

So, what am I saying?

I feel more comfortable with ages 6 mos to about 10-11 years old. They are more predictable (somewhat) and you are not running to the Lord for every single thing you don't understand (not a bad thing at all, just so against human nature--my human nature) and you understand them, and you can see clearly that they understand you, and they want to please you, and it's not so complicated and out of your hands.....
So. That's my thoughts today on this Sabbath.

6 comments:

Children of Eve said...

I am DAILY "running to the Lord for every single thing you don't understand" with every age person in my life. When are they gonna get to that "comfortable" age? Or when am I?

Glad your back!

Andrea said...

you know what, Eve? I am too. But with the newborn and teen ages it seems more heightened for me. Not that that is a bad thing! =) I think we will always be learning and growing--never be comfortable!

Courtney said...

girl,
If you have got the toddler stage figured out, PLEASE write me an instruction manual...I'm stumped! LOL! Hugs as you travel the slippery slope of parenting! Thankful that God is our pilot ;)

Aimee said...

I am a baby and then 4-11 year old person. Toddlers and preschoolers WEAR ME OUT and I feel so crazy during those years.

bliss said...

oh dear. in my book, toddlers are
where its at. i am cringing in my
maternity pants thinking that one
day this sweet little boy who is kissing
my growing belly might one day tell
me he hates me.

Anonymous said...

I am not a teen person!! and Oh dear...I am in the middle of it right now! I totally hear you about the messes, etc. And then, I am told to 'chill out' on top of it all!!

So many opportunities to give and receive grace everyday around here:)

However...it.is.exhausting!

The hardest part for me is that I have NO personal space and time. I have always homeschooled so I'm used to having my kids around...but now there are no naps, no early bedtime, etc. and (thankfully!) they want to talk late into the night!

maddie