Tuesday, July 27, 2010

For good--in all things

My two oldest children are at sleep away camp this week. Everyone with more than one child knows that if you take even just one child out of the mix, it makes your work at home feel a lot easier. So, imagine my household with only three children instead of five!
Funny enough, my two oldest are my most quietest children. My second oldest is my peacemaker. The two older ones left at home are my loudest, and then you have the baby.

When I found out I was unexpectedly pregnant with my fifth child, I asked God, "how can I do this? I already feel overwhelmed, I can't do more children."And as He is, He was gracious to me and gave me the grace I needed in the situation. One year ago today my baby boy was born and as they say: "I can't imagine my life without him."

Funny thing is, God puts people in your life for a reason. If you ask Him to take them away from you, and He doesn't, then you have to accept His will in that situation. (By no means did I ever ask God to take my baby away from me. I just had to pray to accept the pregnancy--just to be clear!!!) Romans 8:28 says: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
In this we find comfort. That annoying person at work you see everyday? God works for good.
That friend you just don't understand but God keeps saying--"love them"? God works for good.
That child who challenges you? God works for good.

Not having my oldest here, I miss the extra set of hands to help me with laundry, to clean the kitchen, to ask in her sweet voice, "Mom, do you need help?".
Not having my second oldest here, I see what a peacemaker she is with her siblings, as well as I miss the peace her presence brings to our home.

So, while some of the burden is lifted, I can see how God works for good every single person in my family, every single child I have been blessed with, every single person in my life.

And I will give thanks.



photo by Blue Lily

5 comments:

Aimee said...

awesome post, girl...I'm dealing with the "friend you just don't understand" right now and am trying to love them...it takes grace and trusting that He is working good in me and she :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, a child who asks, "Mom, do you need help" is a true blessing.

Someday, they will likely all get to that point.

:)

Anonymous said...

So I am cheating and leaving a comment here about your 'life in NY post'

I loved it! So true and so real...at least for me. Incidents like that play over and over in my mind and really disturb me. I am actually astonished when my husband is in the same situations and can totally forget about it w/in minutes.

I appreciated your honesty. :)and great photos of the farm stand. Living on the west coast we often picture the east as completely industrialized, and think that NJ being the Garden State is a joke.

maddie

Famaddict said...

<3 Sweet baby. I love his sweet smooth head. When I was so heartbroken that my husband had decided 5 children is enough, your hubby randomly turned around in church and handed your little guy to me. Just holding him and snuggling his velvety noggin was so comforting to me. What a precious family you have. ~L

Alicia said...

Andrea,

I, too, had a "surprise fifth".. and OH how I wrestled with God on that one--- ARE YOU CRAZY,LORD? I'm hanging by a thread with four. I want to be a hands-on Mom, not "mob control"... and so it went, all my reasons for NOT growing our family. And then I held our sweet Magdalene Hope in my arms and realized she was the exactly the gift our family needed. God is good. THanks for sharing your thoughts and your faith. Each time I read your blog I think, "we'd be great friends if she lived next door" :)

Blessings to you and your "handful"!

Alicia