1. It must be a refuge. Everything in its place, and everything has its place. No dirty laundry draped over unused treadmills. (I'm guilty.) Make it pleasing to the eye: no clutter, no mess. And please, if it doesn't belong in the bedroom, get it out of there! (I'm thinking treadmills, work desks, bills.....)
2. It must have good lighting. Dim lamps. Candlelight. Lots of sunlight in the day. No glaring overhead lights or fluorescent lighting! The horrors! This is your refuge!
3. It must have a good bed. When my husband and I bought our bed, we decided we were going to spend some money on it. I mean, you spend half your life in your bed, why not make it comfortable? Good mattress. Good, comfortable sheets. cozy comforter. It doesn't take that much money. Just some thought.
4. A lock on the door. For some quiet time with your husband. ;) Or if you want to lock your children out for a little while so you can regain sanity.
5. Whatever makes you happy. I love scented candles, pictures of my babies, a stash of popcorn and sour patch kids beside my bed. I'll say it again: this is your refuge!!!
What are your "musts" in the bedroom?