Monday, August 30, 2010

Loss/gain

Addiction is a fascinating subject to me. How do people deal with pain? Do they self-medicate with drugs and alcohol, cut themselves, find solace in other unhealthy things? I self-medicate in a lot of ways. I escape to check email or blogs, I push down feelings instead of accepting or dealing with them, I plan a night with a friend to escape loneliness, in short, I replace my losses with other things besides the Lord.
But here's the thing: earthly loss is heavenly gain.
What I lose here on earth, I gain in heaven.
If my wants are not fulfilled, if I lose a friend, if I miss my family, if I can't take one more day of disciplining five children, then my gain is running to the Lord, looking for His comfort and in the end my losses give me heavenly gain.
What do I love? What am I replacing my time with? What am I doing to make me feel in control?

It may shock us for the moment. We may feel hurt, outraged, desolate, helpless. That is our humanity. But the Lord can show us the "long view," the incalculable gain in spiritual and eternal terms, if we love Him above all. Everything that belongs to us belongs also to Him. Everything that belongs to Him belongs also to us. What, then, can we finally lose? If we lose not Christ Himself, we have finally lost nothing, for He is our treasure and He has our hearts.
~Elisabeth Elliot

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great, beautiful and much-needed words! Keep on, sister. It's a tiring one over here...but ending early for a rest. your friend mbb

Mac an Rothaich said...

Thanks for posting. I like to think I don't self medicate but it is for sure a common problem of mine when my eyes are off Jesus. I like to call things like internet time or reading fiction 'escapism' to make it sound okay but I have my issues, like everyone else, and I do this stuff so often lately, like an addiction, as my stress mounts. I keep hearing the Spirit call, just come and be still and know that I am God, and then I check my email one more time instead... I am avoiding hurt... You made it so clear! I want to take this to Jesus so I can enjoy company and time away from it all in a healthy manner.

myheartathome said...

hmmm...so good. Thank you...Where did you find the Elisabeth Elliot quote?

Andrea said...

my heart,
it is from her daily devotional I get online.

firstpearl said...

Oh, that long view. Why does it seem farther away with my every step towards it? And yet, when I have it in focus, I can't look away it is so vivid. Thanks for the post!!

Tracey M. said...

Hello Andrea,
I haven't had a lot of time to comment lately but I keep your blog in my reader so I can read your posts every week. I am finally getting around to tell you I featured your post on my Favorites last Friday. This was really good for me, and good to share! I added the link but not sure it works.

http://lantytracey.blogspot.com/2010/09/friday-favorites.html