Monday, September 13, 2010

Taking care of you

Many of you know my passion for mothers to take time out to care for themselves. It is my passion because for so long I did not do it. Then, when a crisis occurred, I could not deal with it properly, and became anxiety-ridden and depressed.
I always thought that being a Christian mother meant sacrifice. It does. But it doesn't mean sacrifice beyond what you can handle. You have to make time to care for yourself, because time to care for yourself will never be there. It has to be created.
I really enjoyed this post about the physical ways your body can be affected by stress. Like Stacy, my adrenals were shot. My chiropractor gave me some supplements that would rebuild and maintain my adrenals. I can't tell you how much help it has been for me. My emotions are in check, instead of out of whack, I think more clearly, and I just feel better. A lot of times it is a physical problem that makes you feel bad. It can also be emotional or spiritual. We are "fearfully and wonderfully made". We should treat ourselves as such. We were given the gift of a wonderful body, soul, and spirit and we should be good stewards of it.
Aimee has a wonderful post encouraging mothers to take care of themselves as this busy school year begins.
What is
one thing you can do to take better care of yourself?
How can you make time for that in your life? (you have to!)
What is one thing you can do every week to make you happy? Make that a priority.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good post. I'm curious how you worked on your adrenals. I would love to see a post on your blog someday about that. Thank you! This is such important information for mothers, especially, to remember.

Andrea said...

anon--I am currently taking two adrenal supports--one to rebuild my adrenals and one to maintain.I get them through my chiropractor so I don't know if you can get them elsewhere. It is Drenamin and Desiccated Adrenal. The brand is Standard Process. Hope that helps. I would consult a professional for adrenal help. Then you can specifically know what to treat.

Aimee said...

thanks for the link! :) I found myself getting run down and getting a cold...the Lord said, "take care, Aimee!" and I just knew that we all need to be reminded of this over and again and be proactive to head off exhaustion instead of reacting to it when it happens. I started thinking how in the Fall life gets busy and busier up until after Christmas...we need to stay on top of our well-being through these months so we don't collapse in January :) :) :)

Amy Scott said...

Just to think....Oprah was right all along.

[sigh....]

My cortisol was 2 (!!) in my first a.m. reading with the saliva test. I'm trying the natural adrenal cortex stuff, but then I'm going to go for the big drugs if that doesn't work.

I am still trying to figure out what I can do to manage stress that does NOT involve selling off naughty ones on eBay.

Trudy said...

I changed two things lately. One to get up at the same time every weekday. Used to make up for lost time by getting up extra early and then I was too tired the rest of the day. Second give myself the peace of knowing that during toddlers' naptime I'm free to read, create, or anything good without guilt. That leaves me to use my time wisely during the regular hours.

Anonymous said...

Andrea,

You don't know me but I occasionally read your blog. It blesses.

I am there with shot adrenals. I have 5 children (born in 7 years). The twins are now 4. Since they have been born I've been in over-drive.

I have not done a good job of taking care of myself. I sacrificed beyond what I could handle. I am learning appropriate boundaries but battling intense feelings of being overwhelmed and anxiety.

Would you share the names of the supplements recommended by your chiropractor ?

I am in Canada but I expect we will be able to get similar (if not the same) supplements here.

Thank you so much for this post. It has been timely. I was struggling with giving myself permission to 'take time for me' when it means dropping one of the many balls I'v been juggling. All the 'to do' items are all good things but all of them together are 'too many'

Andrea said...

Anonymous--
I shared above what supplements I am taking. However I don't think you can get them unless you have a provider to give them to you...
It makes sense anyway to get yourself checked out if you feel maxed. Perhaps a holistic caregiver can help diagnose an adrenal problem.
I hear and resonate with you! I have been there and do not want to be there again. Taking time for you is a good thing. If you are not healthy, then you are no good for anyone!!! Take the time to care for yourself because it will not just "happen". What is one thing you can drop? Let go of? Replace that with some life giving activities. Most importantly, ask the Lord how He would have you take care of yourself. Blessings!