Monday, January 10, 2011

"You and me, buddy."

I wake early in the morning, grab my Bible and go downstairs. Put the kettle on, grind the beans, make a cup, and settle into reading:

"If the offering is a burnt offering from the herd, you are to offer a male without defect. You must present it at the entrance to the tent of meeting so that it will be acceptable to the LORD. You are to lay your hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it will be accepted on your behalf to make atonement for you. You are to slaughter the young bull before the LORD, and then Aaron’s sons the priests shall bring the blood and splash it against the sides of the altar at the entrance to the tent of meeting. You are to skin the burnt offering and cut it into pieces. The sons of Aaron the priest are to put fire on the altar and arrange wood on the fire. Then Aaron’s sons the priests shall arrange the pieces, including the head and the fat, on the wood that is burning on the altar. You are to wash the internal organs and the legs with water, and the priest is to burn all of it on the altar. It is a burnt offering, a food offering, an aroma pleasing to the LORD."


And I'm settling into reading for about 5 minutes, and I hear the baby.
I take a deep breath and go upstairs to grab him before he wakes anyone.
"Okay, it's you and me buddy," I tell him.
Then there's the diaper change, and a sippy of milk to break his hunger, and I settle back down to read Leviticus.
I decide that I won't be miffed.
There was a time when I let these interruptions get the best of me, and discourage me to continue. When I cried out to God: "How long?" How long will it take for me to have an interrupted quiet time? (I'm dramatic like that.)
But this time? I brought the baby down. I read....in spurts.
The children came down soon after.
Not ideal, but loosening my grip on the ideal of the perfect quiet time has helped me make the most of the time I do have.

And I'm doing it! I'm reading the Bible in 90 days!!!
Pray for me?

"These past eight years have been the best of my Christian life. I've spent more intimate time with Jesus than anyone else on this earth. I've lost countless hours of sleep. I've showed up sick. I've showed up in pain. I've showed up in different locations. I've showed up with a
candle or a flashlight. I've showed up in the cold. I've showed up in the heat. But I've showed up. I don't trust myself for a minute. So I cling, cling, cling to Him each and every day. He has blessed me in His Word more than I could ever write to you. The more I know of Him, the more I hunger for Him. I definitely know what the verse means about the deer panting for the water, so my soul pants for you. My soul truly pants for Him like no other."

~Laine's Letters

10 comments:

Carrie - LittleLlamas said...

Thanks so much for this. I gave up on nearly rising last fall...I had had enough of me trying to meet with God only to be interrupted every day. I was frustrated and gave up. It;s not that i was sleeping in, My children were waking at ungodly hours...5:30, 6:00, etc.

But then it turned to laziness. They began sleeping till 6:45, 6:55, 7:15. And I knew I needed to re-commit.

I have been committing to wake at 6:00, and have been faithful to do so. My kids were following along great for a while...sleeping till 7, and one until 7:30. It was fabulous, refreshing, life giving. The past 4 days the baby (22months) has been waking at 6...and big brother shortly after (or sometimes before)

I am feeling frustrated again. But like you, trying to find a way to make it work. thanks for the encouragement to persevere!

Natalie said...

Andrea,

Tears instantly welled in my eyes as I read this post. (I'm dramatic like that, too!) I am trying to learn this- to decide not to be miffed, to decide to redeem the time, to trust that He will use whatever I can offer Him in a mighty way.

You ARE doing it, girl!!! You ARE doing it!

mama said...

the best part is that your babies are SEEING you live your faith. you aren't just telling them to "read your Bible," you are actually reading your Bible yourself, in front of them. that is ministry.

Aimee said...

drama: yes! :)

I find that my children must have an internal radar that goes off when I am awake...no matter how early I rise it's as if they know and come find me!! This year I vowed that I wouldn't view that as an interruption but as an opportunity to love them and include them and model to them spending time with the Lord. So often Mike and I are praying together in the mornings with Lukey snuggled against me and Will in his lap...who knows the precious things that is building into them and their marriages?? Oh for the grace for that to happen!!!!!

the full circle mother said...

Well said - I love this post and it really spoke to me right now. I can't seem to find a quiet moment to myself or find time to do something for myself in our days. I try - then I'm interrupted (the baby wakes, the girls want to do their own project and need help, etc). I finally finished something today that I started 2 weeks ago and should have taken me only an hour to do! ha! I'm dramatic like that too! Going to visit the link for reading the bible in 90 days now as it has been on my to do list for way too long. Thanks for the encouragement!

tonia said...

*hee* oh my friend...i had to giggle at the drama. i'm like that too.

i think the Lord must be very happy to have the company of your little guy too. He's welcoming and tender like that.

Good for you reading the bible so quickly! whew! I wonder what you will see differently and new? exciting!

Sandi said...

So great that your sticking with it....90 days, wow!

It really is just showing up each day isn't it? Showing up to be with Him and being there for them...and all to often it overlaps.

Eva said...

Hi there. I had this self- same thing happen just an hour ago. Woke at 5am to get started on today's 90 day reading, and within 15 minutes, Mr 2 year old joined me. I must admit though, I had to resort to Diego on the laptop in his bedroom to allow me to continue my reading. Compromising principles for the greater good!

Ashley said...

I am the same way. Have always struggled with being interrupted. Last year I was reading My Utmost For His Highest, and it was talking about devotions and our habit of liking them a certain way. I'll never forget the words that caught my attention...something along the lines of "we say 'don't interrupt my time alone with Jesus', but really what we want is our time alone with our habit." That has stuck with me for months, and I think of it every time I get annoyed when my kids interrupt a time of prayer or reading. Glad I'm no the only one with this struggle :)

Dawn said...

I need to do this.
I just printed the schedule.
Thanks.