Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Blogging: God in the Yard

My Tuesday women's bible study is reading L.L. Barkat's book God in the Yard :

"the story of an unusual year, when I did something I never intended to do. But it is also a course in discovery and playing towards God, through spiritual practice, offered with gentle expectations." ~L.L. Barkat

We are lucky to have L.L. in our midst as we go through this study. She is speaking and talking about the book with us all as we read.

God in the Yard is:
the story of L.L.'s year in her own backyard.
Inspired by a prompt in a book to find a "secret spot" somewhere in nature, and go there for an hour every day, L.L. went to the same spot in her own backyard for a year. This book explains her experience in doing that.

Every Wednesday I am going to blog my thoughts about L.L.'s book and my own experiences. I have no certain way I am going to present my blog posts. Perhaps it is a long blog post, like a journal entry, perhaps it is written out like a story, perhaps it is a poem, perhaps it is a few words, or a picture. As L.L. did when she started her own journey, I am not putting any expectations on myself, or asking "why" I am doing this. I just "am".

Some thoughts on the first chapter:

L.L. invites us to read Proverbs 8: 30-31:
"Then I was beside Him as a master craftsman; And I was daily His delight, Rejoicing always before Him, Rejoicing in His inhabited world, And my delight was with the sons of men."

These verses tell me that it is good to rejoice in Him, before Him, in His inhabited world, and with the sons of men.
L.L. says, "...our spiritual goal is not simply to renew the child but to play through the child, towards soul restoration, towards a Proverbs-style partnership between us and God, preparing the way for grace in the world."

This week:


I will try to be more aware of ways to be "playful" with God. Through words, logical/mathematical ways, spatial/visual, musical/rhythmic, kinesthetic/bodily, interpersonal, intrapersonal, naturalist and existentialist ways. (God in the Yard, p. 7)

1 comment:

L.L. Barkat said...

I'm so excited! You are going to play. And who knows what that will look like?

I love that you are letting this take you where it will, too. God is rich, and will visit you in unexpected ways. :)