Monday, April 04, 2011

Mama Monday

Today's Mama Monday is the sweet-hearted Miriam from the blog Living Fragrance. Miriam is a sweet and sensitive soul. I really enjoy her writings on her blog. One of my favorite posts that she has written is called: Savored Stirrings. This post really gives you a sense of her heart!

Ladies, I am happy to bring you Miriam:

Greatest thing about being a mom—

I think that all the love is the best part. It's just such an amazing gift to be loved by my children, and to experience the depths of love that I have for them. Paradoxically, I've been challenged to find how short my love falls in this journey, but ultimately that is also a gift, because it causes me to drink deep of God's love as my source.

Hardest thing about being a mom—

Your friend Layla's answer for this question really resonated with me. Motherhood has a way of placing a magnifying glass on our failures and shortcomings, doesn't it? I often see my struggles evidenced in my children's lives - that is so hard. It's been quite a process for me to learn to truly receive God's grace for all that is past (and all that we are still working through) and to trust in His redemptive power to be at work in each of us.

Favorite blogs/websites—

I find this simple question so very difficult to answer. It's probably a little quirk with me... Max Lucado's You Are Special is just about my favorite kids' book, and I think it's message has become ingrained in me over the years. Do you know the story? The Wemmicks are little wooden people who go around all day every day sticking stars and dots on each other. Stars for the good, beautiful, and talented ones; dots for those who fall short in all sorts of ways. They need their maker Eli's help with this, because they must learn that all those dots or stars don't mean a thing really, only what Eli thinks matters. Obvious allegorical meaning, hopefully? The thought of publicly praising a few blogs, to the exclusion of others, feels to me a little too much like entering into that whole star and dot thing, so I have to plead the fifth. (But no judgment on those who have shared their favorites! Like I said, I think this is just a personal conscience quirk with me.) I will say that this blog has been a great blessing to me! :)


How do you find balance in your life—

For me it is very important to keep things simple... in so many aspects of life. My husband's tag phrase that he likes to remind me of when I start to feel overwhelmed is "KISS" - keep it simple, Sweetie. Of course, that practically plays out in lots of ways... a bit too much to write about here.

One word that describes you—

Sensitive

Favorite color--

Green! I love that it is the color of new life and healing. I can't adequately express what it does for my heart to see the first greens of spring appearing. Feels like Heaven coming close.

Hobbies/interests---

Art, dance, reading, exploring nature, blogging now and then, learning to live a life of mission

I couldn't live without—

my husband's fabulous foot rubs ;)

What helps me through tough days---

Jesus' grace. I once heard this great quote from a preacher: "In God there are no more good days or bad days for you, just days of grace. Some days there is grace to enjoy, and some days there is grace to endure." I'm learning to rest in that beautiful truth.

And music helps me so much. Probably one of the best songs for me to listen to on a tough day is an old Twila Paris song: "Fix Your Eyes." I need to constantly remind my soul to look to God.

What the Lord has been speaking to you about lately—

Like so many others, I've been reading Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts and seeking to cultivate a heart of gratitude in my own life. (A glimpse of my journey here: gifts ) It's been so good and the Lord has been speaking so much to me through it all. Oftentimes I tend to flit from revelation to revelation in the Christian life, without letting the lessons firmly take hold, so I'm planning to take the rest of this year to focus on this. I've named the year Joyful Thanks to help me remember to stay on course.

Also, something that the Lord has been speaking to me about lately that has been hugely significant is the need to take up my cross. A number of weeks ago our pastor was speaking about this. He said that perhaps the easy yoke is synonymous with the crucified life. That thought just really struck me. As I look at my life, I've struggled with Jesus' teaching about the easy yoke, because if feels like in many areas I've done so much fruitless striving. So I began asking the Lord to show me ways in which I haven't taken up my cross. He's been faithful to show me all sorts of things, so it's been a humbling journey, but so good ultimately, I know. Much of what He's shown me has to do with being willing to live a hidden life in Him.

What do you like best about yourself—

That I am a beloved child of God.

If I could encourage a young mother, I would say--

Grace, grace, grace. For yourself, for the child(ren), for Daddy finding his way in fatherhood. Also, truly cast all your cares on the Lord, and He will sustain you!

One book you would recommend to read--(besides the Bible)
Hind's Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard

Thank you Miriam!!!!

9 comments:

laurel said...

I love her advice for new mothers, especially that grace for the daddy! Wise words :)
And I agree...GREEN is the color. Every time I look outside, I am overwhelmed with happiness at the beauty of outside.
I will have to check out her blog. Thanks for sharing with us!

Aimee said...

awwwwww, I love Miriam's themes of grace and simplicity. Grace for the past failures, grace in the present day, and teaching grace to other young moms...so good. And "keep it simple" in order to find balance: such wisdom! Thanks so much for sharing your heart, Miriam, and I think I am due for a re-read of Hinds Feet on High Places!

tonia said...

Miriam is one of the sweetest gals I've ever met online...so intelligent and wise and gentle. I'm so glad you interviewed her, Andrea!

And Miriam,

Wemmicks? Green? Art? darling, me too! we need to have a cup of tea and chat! *smile* I hope someday we will get too. Thanks for sharing your sweet and tender self here.

Ann Voskamp @Holy Experience said...

This: "That I am a beloved child of God."
Profound, deep wisdom, Miriam.

From a deeply beautiful soul.

I pray I can carry the wisdom of your words, Him in you, out into my mothering days.

What you've written? Echoes of our Father's heart --- your heart so after His. Words to revisit again and again --- that we might *live* them...

So thankful for you, Miriam... so thankful
Ann

contented sparrow said...

thank you, sweet Miriam, for sharing your heart with us. you have a gentle, Spirit-sensitive one and it shines Christ.

your words about the hardest part of motherhood, the ones that spoke of seeing our own struggles evidenced in our children's lives....they could have been my words. i, too, am learning bit by bit about what it means to receive His grace and truly trust His redemptive power that is at work.

"Some days there is grace to enjoy, and some days there is grace to endure." Oh, so beautifully true. I'm writing that one down!

May your joyful thanksgiving continue flow freely as you see Him in all. I see Him in you.

Miriam said...

Oh my, just a puddle here reading your kind and gracious words, Beautfiul Women. :) Thank you for taking the time to bless. And thanks again, Andrea, for the sweet honor of being able to share on your blog!

Famaddict said...

Love it! Especially the quote about grace. I think I need to learn that one, too. And that is such a sweet picture of you holding hands with your cute, giggling girl.

Lori said...

Wow, Mim. Your wisdom and gentle heart are evident here. I love you and am proud of you!

Prairie Chick said...

>> "In God there are no more good days or bad days for you, just days of grace. Some days there is grace to enjoy, and some days there is grace to endure."<<

love that!