Thursday, May 12, 2011

Warm with generations of human touch.

My husband initially found a partial set of these vintage dishes at a thrift store about 15 years ago. We have always used them for special occasions--it is our "special" china. Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Thanksgiving... And of course any other time we would like to get them out such as Sunday dinners or birthdays. We've never had enough big plates, so we always used the bowls that went with them in addition to some of the smaller plates, so you could get more food on your plate. *smile*
Last Friday, I made a quick stop in my local Goodwill. As usual, I went to the housewares department and I saw a whole set of my vintage china on the shelf!!! I'm talking cups and saucers, gravy boats, creamer, sugar canister, big plates, little plates.....it was too good to be true. I immediately filled my cart with everything I thought we could use to add to our set. I didn't even take everything, there was so much! Hands down, my best ever Goodwill find--two boxes of china for $20!!!!

Yesterday my husband and I took at day trip to the famous Brimfield Antique Show in Brimfield, Massachusetts. Three miles of antiques. Talk about treasure trove. We found a console table and an entry table for our home. I also found a beautiful bowl that looks like McCoy, and a big Pyrex bowl.
Our console table.

Beautiful etching on an entry table we purchased.

My beloved collection of vintage seltzer bottles.

There is something to be said for buying used or antique goods. There is a quote that I came upon recently:

Fewer and fewer Americans possess objects that have a patina, old furniture, grandparents pots and pans -- the used things, warm with generations of human touch, essential to a human landscape. Instead, we have our paper phantoms, transistorized landscapes. A featherweight portable museum. ~Susan Sontag

I like antiques in my home because they are made better, last longer, and have a history. (By no means am I a purist. I love my Expedit!)

Simply, I love old things because they are "warm with generations of human touch." Beautiful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blog entry. I love the Sontag quote. What a find, what a find! Isn't it wonderful when you find something that special in a thrift store.

I'm glad you found them because it's clear you will treasure these dishes for years and years.

contented sparrow said...

yeah, blogger's back so i can tell you that i absolutely share your sentiments about living with things "warm with generations of touch"....ooo, love that. old things have character that can't be reproduced.
and WHAT A FIND!!!! that's amazing.
hope you have a lovely weekend, andrea.
much love, m

Eve said...

That's so great - you finding your china. God does like to give us treats when we least expect it!

Famaddict said...

Yay for your china! I totally agree with you about the antiques, too, although you would never know it to see my home. :-) Unfortunately, I have only one thing that was handed down to me through my family, because my mom is such a modernist that she thought all of the old things were junk. (Funny how in some ways I am so like her and in others, so far apart.) Your home is beautifully decorated and I can't wait to see your new additions.