Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Slow writing


“I am sometimes quite discouraged from writing. So many vessels are taken, that there is Little chance of a Letters reaching your Hands. That I meet with so few returns is a circumstance that lies heavy at my Heart.”~Abigail Adams

Much has changed today. Information gets to us quickly, we can text or email a quick message to someone, even phone calls get information quickly to our loved ones. I suppose that's why I have been so anxious and felt so guilty for not being prompt in returning letters to my C.L.A.S. friends. When I receive an email or a text, I like to respond quickly, or the message gets lost in the recesses of my inbox or phone. Deal with it now, don't wait, or it will never be dealt with. Such is the time we live in.
I've felt that way with my letters, and I realized the other day that I shouldn't apply that same type of "quick response thinking" to my letter writing.
In the past, especially in John and Abigail Adams' time, letters took months to reach each other. You did not expect a quick response. John Adams work in the War of Independence took him away from home frequently. There were some 1, 160 letters between them that survived.
So, with this information in mind, I am cherishing the lost art of letter writing. Slow, deliberate writing that can be started and stopped without having to click "Save". It makes for more enjoyable correspondence than an email or text hastily written out. Letters cherish the English language: there is no "lol" or "brb". (God forbid I ever write that in a letter.) We are patient in writing, and patient in receiving a letter in answer.

5 comments:

Kelley said...

Letters seem to happen when I am taking a break from all else. Chaos subsides and ideas blossom. They are a haven.

Laura said...

I would love to find a kindred spirit to write letters. What a day brightener, when you see a real letter or card in your mailbox! I like learning more about John and Abigail Adams. I really enjoyed watching the documentary on them last year (minus the couple of unexpected parts with nudity and my children were watching with me!) They were quite a couple!

contented sparrow said...

ahhh, what a relief. your encouragement is just what i needed as i'd been feeling so guilty about my slow letter responses!

Linda said...

Ah...I feel better now Andrea. My pen-pals have been kept waiting for weeks now, but I love being a part of CLAS. I need to not feel guilty and just write when I can. It really is such a joy to find a "real" letter in the mailbox.

Christine said...

Yes, slow and deliberate. It is a gift to write and receive. In this fast food culture, we think everything has to be NOW. But it doesn't. Let the joy simmer, then bubble over onto the page...