Tuesday, August 02, 2011

I < 3 texting

Remember my post a couple of years ago about my ipod? How I "hated" it and wouldn't have anything to do with it, and then I fell in love with it?

Well, Apple has got me again. This time with my iphone.

I'm no stranger to the iphone. My husband got me one for my birthday a couple of years ago, right before I had my fifth baby.
So then I was able to update my facebook status immediately after delivery. (joke.) Although I did check my blog while in labor.

What can I say? I used to be one of those people with the flip cell phone--you know the one that your husband bought for you for "emergencies". And it was never charged, and I always left it at home. Not much good in emergencies.

When my teenage daughter was finally able to text on her phone, we set up a contract and all, had her sign the "guidelines"...I know, terrible parents that we are. Mainly, we wanted to get across to her that face to face conversation is the best in all situations. Texting is not chat, etc, etc. I hated the privacy of texting with my teen. It was one of those things I had to let go and trust her. I can't know everything, nor should I.

So, just like I used to be anti-ipod, I used to be anti-texting.

"Hello, my name is Andrea, and I am a recovering hater-texter."

I < 3 texting. I do. And here is why. Those friends of mine who text, it is a wonderful way to stay connected during the day. It is not a substitute for our relationships, but it enhances it. In fact, I just got through texting a friend "Happy Birthday". If I didn't text, would I have contacted her? I don't know. And without facebook I might not have known her birthday. And so on. A-hem. All this rambling to say, texting has changed my life. (cringe, I can't believe I just wrote that.) It has allowed me to be connected to friends and family in a way that is easy and accessible. Do I use it to replace face to face interaction? No. I am very careful about that. And I will not have a serious discussion on text. Texting was also helpful in having an accountability partner as I read the Bible in 90 days.
So, all that to say, if you see a woman with an iphone with a black and white polka dot case, punching the keys and laughing...that's me. LOL. And all that.

6 comments:

contentedsparrow said...

Hee! I also used to be VERY anti-texting. But being able to send my hubbie little notes and share funny things with my BFF has totally changed my mind, as well. Would I call my best friend simply to say, "How do you solve a problem like Maria?", NO....but do we text each other Sound of Music lyrics and giggle, YES! We've found a way to stay connected easily.
So, if you want a chuckle now and then, send me your #, girl! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing because I still have the "phone for emergencies that is never ever charged"! As for texting, I don't do it, so don't text me...just call or IM me on FB. ;) Love you!
Courtney

Famaddict said...

This made me laugh! You know I'm right behind you on the road to technology, learning to love it one bit at a time. (pun intended bc I'm that big a dork)
Natalie and I just had a text war because Vanessa texted a group so when my response went to everyone, but Nat didn't know it was me. So she asked who I was and I snubbed her for being a creepy stranger, and so on. When it finally came out who we each were, we both had a good laugh. Now, that never would have happened in person!

Janel said...

I relate. Texting is the only way to get in touch with my 18 year old "adopted" daughter. Well, that's not true, I can email her via FB too. lol

I can't justify the expense of a monthly cell plan, so I have a prepay phone. Last month I purchased an iPod Touch to use as a PDA to manage my memory loss. IT IS FABULOUS!!! The iPhone apps are soo awesome! And I love having it ding in my pocket so I won't forget to swap the laundry. It's radically changed my life - given some of what I lost back.

Technology is a blessing - if you need it or use it correctly.

Christine said...

I have recently had to go to an unlimited texting plan due to my new accountability with my morning Bible reading, etc. I love it. It does enhance, not detract. It's so wonderful to get a text from a friend saying that they are praying for me! Totally makes my day!

Natalie said...

LOL, I never texted until I got the iPhone but now I LOVE it. In fact, you texted me off a ledge yesterday when I panicked about our great homeschool experiment- did you not? And my text war with Layla was hysterical!