Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Loving well

"Sometimes," said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart."

I received the most wonderful surprise in the mail last week. My dear friend
Aimee sent me the most thoughtful gifts in the mail. It included a bird's nest necklace, a recipe for pumpkin bread, handmade leaf coasters, and a flower pin made of old t-shirt material. I couldn't believe what beautiful gifts I had gotten. And it was a total surprise. I thought of Aimee, homeschooling her five children, her sixth child due in less than a month. I couldn't believe she took the time out to make these things especially for me and to send them in the mail to me. It made me feel so loved and thought of. Aimee knows how to love well.
Loving well is something that must be practiced. Sometimes, as in Aimee's case, it comes very natural. Other times it may not be so natural. But loving well is showing others that they are special, that they are worth something, that they are thought of, amidst the busyness of our everyday lives.

7 comments:

contentedsparrow said...

that aimee is a rare gem. i think gift-giving is HER love language!
and i send you MUCH love in these words, andrea. have a lovely week. it's hot and sunny today! maybe it's coming your way!

Famaddict said...

That's how you made me feel on Saturday. xo

Kim Hyland said...

So well put, Andrea! This resounds with my heart. I've been blessed too with a friend who loves well. Her kindnesses feed my soul and inspires me to love those in my life "well!"

Angie (TheActorsWife) said...

What a lovely post and wonderful reminder. It's one thing to love, but another to "love well." Thank you.

Aimee said...

You are easy to love :)

emily said...

thank you for sharing this ... it was perfectly timed for a heart-to-heart talk with my precious daughter tonight. we were talking about friendship ... she is longing for a "lifelong friend" (she is 11) and it was a beautiful and tender talk about BEING that friend; about loving and blessing. this post came to my mind and i told her about it - about this generous act of love and how GOOD that made you feel ...
on my heart today, this scripture: "He came not to be served, but to serve". oh, that i would love and serve well!
blessings,

LongLaneMama said...

such a lovely friend you have been blessed with....very inspiring to me send a gift of love this weekend--thank you!