Monday, November 07, 2011

Bring them unto me

Lately, the book being read in my house several times a day, per my toddler's request, is the very sweet (and repetitive) Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney. It's not necessarily a favorite of mine, but certainly a much welcome change from Goodnight Moon, or " 'Night Oon", as my little boy says. This book has us all beating one another to the punch: I love you higher than the moon! I love you higher than heaven! I love you higher than one hundred sixty five! And so on. It's also given us leeway to talk about love. Mama, I love you THIS MUCH, but I love Jesus more. Yes, darling, me too. It sounds so strange to say I love Jesus more than you; my own flesh and blood, who I would die for, but I do. That's the way it should be. He made us, we love Him best. Which also gives us leeway to discuss Abraham and Issac, and the fact that God wanted Abraham to sacrifice his only son on an altar. It sounds so strange, but that's the way God wanted to know Abraham trusted Him. That's love. You know I love my children...mere words could not express, and that is the truth. So when I worry about them, I'm continually having to put them on His altar. I'm continually having to trust Him. To accept His grace. It seems so strange to say I love them so much I will place them on that scary altar; but I know in the end, they are truly in His hands. And I'm much the wiser for it.

Children are a precious gift from God, but much anxiety comes with them. They may be a great joy or a great bitterness to their parents. They may be filled with the Spirit of God or possessed with the spirit of evil. In all cases, the Word of God gives us one prescription for the curing of all their ills. "Bring them [unto] me." ...We must never cease to pray until they cease to breathe. No case is hopeless while Jesus lives. The Lord sometimes allows his people to be driven into a corner so that they may know how necessary He is to them. Ungodly children, when they show us our own powerlessness against the depravity of their hearts, drive us to flee the Strong One for strength, and this is a great blessing to us. ~Charles Spurgeon "Morning and Evening"

from the archives: October 2007
...thinking and writing more about Elizabeth's post this week...

2 comments:

Candace said...

Oh I do love this post!! Thank you! And I love the quote, I may have to steal that to put on my blog too!! :)

Candace said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.