Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Living in the slow

"Childhood scenes rushed back at me out of the night, strangely close and urgent. Today I know that such memories are the key not to the past, but to the future. I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the will He will give us to do." ~Corrie ten Boom "The Hiding Place"

I am reminded to stay in the moment as I look at this little print leaned up against the wall beside my sink. It's very easy, in the busyness of motherhood, to be thinking of what needs to be done, next. I have to remember to savor this moment in the now, no matter if it's my 2 year old needing discipline or that I need to sit at the kitchen table and just "be" with my children in the moment. I have to remember these things for many reasons. They are fleeting moments to be sure. The are moments that in each and every one are preparing me for His will. If I miss them, I will miss the lesson that He would have me learn. But most of all I try to live in the moment to cherish those connections with my children. To keep them hidden in the memory of my heart, as Mary did. I don't want to miss a single thing that the Lord would have me see.

"Being in a hurry. Getting to the next thing without fully entering the thing in front of me. I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry. But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the wake of all the rushing...Through all that haste I thought I was making up time. It turns out I was throwing it away." ~from Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts



**I first saw the Be Here Now print at Elise's kitchen sink and immediately did a search on Etsy to see if I could find one for my own kitchen sink. I absolutely love it, and love the reminder of it every day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet post, friend. Love your food for thought. Always.
courtney

Linda said...

I am always blessed by the great wisdom of young mothers like you Andrea. You are making such a loving difference in your children's lives.
I think this "Be Here Now" applies to every season of our lives. I am trying to deliberately slow and cherish the moments. I am forever running ahead in my mind to the next thing - never taking the time to enjoy the now.
Thank you for these wise words.

Kendra said...

Dear Andrea,

I followed your blog years ago, and am venturing back out for a season of reading and writing. This is still such a sweet place, full of honest wisdom. I, too need the constant reminder to keep my feet on the ground and my eyes upon the dear ones near me. Thanks for sharing :)

-Kendra

Children of Eve said...

Yes, Andrea this is so true. This is how I try to live, the present is all we have, and all we need. Thanks for sharing the moment.

Leeta Harding said...

I'm taking a moment to rest and explore your blog, I needed to read this today. I lapped up every word like cool milk. Thanks Andrea! And Happy Anniversary. I'm sure you are enjoying this day with all of your being.
xoLeeta