Wednesday, February 29, 2012

U be u. I'll be me.

Ann's post: 4 ways to be a better friend from last week triggered emotions in me that I thought I had dealt with long ago. I hate when that happens. You think you are over and done with certain situations and feelings, but you find out through some unexpected way that they are still there. It's a good thing, however much I hate it. It allows me to probe deeper, ask more questions, deal with the pain, or bitterness or even sin in my own life, maybe something I've missed.

The fact of the matter is that we are all different. Because of this, we will inevitably hurt each other through misunderstandings and miscommunication. And Christians are not immune. The day I realized my Christian friends were just like my non-Christian friends: sinners, was a sad day. I'm idealistic, what can I say? Just because we have a redeemed life doesn't mean we won't disappoint or hurt others, or be that perfect friend. Or that other Christians won't hurt or disappoint us. This was a hard pill to swallow. Lesson learned, eh...learning.

In fact, the only thing that bonds us to other Christians is Jesus. Dietrich Bonhoffer says in his classic book on Christian community, Life Together:

"Christian brotherhood is not an ideal which we must realize; it is rather a reality created by God in Christ in which we may participate."

We live in true community with others because of Jesus. It is what hold us together; at times, it is the only thing that holds us together, especially if we have been deeply hurt by others in the body.

This is where I say: He made us all different. Even within the body. The only thing that makes it "work" is if everyone is in perfect communion with our Father. And, well, that is impossible on earth.
So, I let go of expectations...(try to), pray..., and remember: it's not me...or them...it's Him.