Thursday, May 24, 2012

#mustgetout

This past weekend I got together with three lovely ladies for a girls' weekend to Savannah, Georgia.
It was a wonderful time of fellowship, laughter, food, fun and truth.




The best southern dinner in town. I almost cried at the spread of homemade southern delights. You eat it "family style" with other strangers at the table. Pretty soon they are not strangers, though. Love this concept.



 It is weekends like this that I have to remind myself that is it *so* important to me, as a busy mother, to get away from my family for a short time. It helps me gain perspective as a mother, it re-energizes me and I am ready again to take on the challenges of my wonderful but challenging life.


With women who share my basic beliefs in a God who loves us and cares for us and wants the best for us. Who is gentle and loving and kind. Women who will speak truth-words to me and get me out of that downward spiral of *poor me* and *this is too hard* mindset.
Who encourage me to love my husband well, to love my children well, to be with people who love me and care for me. Who also are gentle and loving and kind in their words. Who make me laugh til I cry. Man, I need that.

  Sweet Megan with her endearing midwestern accent amidst all us southern girls.

These miracle babies of Laurel who is amazing at caring for their needs and teaches me patience when I see her care for them.

 Searching for the best coffee in Savannah.

 The amazing Laurel.

 Beauty everywhere you turn.

 These sweet feet reminding me of the connection between sisters. Not only sisters by blood, but sisters in Christ.

I miss her.


I miss them.

 Honey tastin'

 Relaxed and happy.

 Car photo!


Moss on trees in Savannah. Just gorgeous.



11 comments:

contentedsparrow said...

awww, i miss you. and our time away....it seems almost like a dream now. to actually BE with y'all face-to-face instead of face-to-screen was PURE GIFT.
love you, sister.

Anonymous said...

~lovely~!
I have read and enjoyed all of "y'alls" blogs for years! Our 5 children are the same ages of yours.....Laurel, I love your ideas about simplicity at home, simple, nutritious food. Our 4th and 5th children are twins! I loved what you wrote about how *wonderful* and *hard* it can be on the same days. Megan, I have enjoyed so much from your blog....on the day of your "Mama Monday" here I received some much needed refreshment on a *very* long day and night on my own. Finally, I am a daily green smoothie drinker and I know I got the initial idea or encouragement from one of your blogs. ~Mary Brooke
PS, our family just enjoyed a week at Edisto...

Aimee said...

DOWNWARD SPIRAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh girl, I was in one yesterday and I thought of you and our hand motion of the spiral and got to laughing and it got me out of my funk :)

LOVE YOU...these weekends away with y'all are one of the highlights of the year!!!!!!!

love, Everlyn

Stacy said...

What a gift.
I'm so happy for you that you were able to go, all of you~ and mutually encourage one another.

I am usually reluctant to leave my family, but always find, as you do-- that it is good for my soul to get away and be refreshed and then am that much more excited to get back to it when I return!

Love to you,
~Stacy

Anonymous said...

Loved your pics of our beautiful Savannah. What a lovely weekend our sweet Lord arranged for u. His rest is beyond measure... Foretaste of heaven. Love Mimi Cable

Tammy Kay said...

Oh, I love Savannah. My mom and I went last summer and it was lovely. I live in Charleston which isn't but a few hours away. Nice to meet you. I have a blog too. Just wanted to say Hello.
Blessings to you!

Tammy Kay said...

Oh, I love Savannah. My mom and I went last summer and it was lovely. I live in Charleston which isn't but a few hours away. Nice to meet you. I have a blog too. Just wanted to say Hello.
Blessings to you!

Susan said...

Jealous! Can I come and be the Mom/Gramma figure next year?! I have no concept of southern life, so it would be educational, too. :-) I'm so glad you all get to do this. The sum of you four amazing women must equate to something pretty wonderful.

Susan

Anonymous said...

That is so amazing! It is really difficult to find kindred spirits as an adult and you found 3!. Glad you had a restful, grace-filled weekend. God puts special people in our lives during the seasons we need them most.
Courtney

Sara said...

I agree with other commentors---what a precious gift of friendship! I've found as a mom (especially a mom of a larger family---we have six including 9 month old twins!) that it is very hard to find kindred spirits. To have friends who love you for who you are, who understand where you are, who will speak truth and encouragement---that is such a special treasure. It is so wonderful to get away from the family at times to regain some perspective. I've not done that in soooo long, but I've always felt so refreshed and ready to take on that job again when I have had the opportunity (sometimes even just a few hours helps though!)

My husband and I ate at Mrs. Wilkes on our honeymoon--so fun! Savannah is such a beautiful city. We went there again 3 years ago and had a wonderful time.

Glad you had this opportunity to be with special friends. Blessings!

P.S. We stayed at Hilton Head Island, not far from Savannah---I just love that part of the world!

Sara said...

Meant to say: stayed at HHI in April. oops!