Friday, December 21, 2012

Like Mary


But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.~Luke 2:19

On Christmas Day, seven years ago, I had a 6 day old baby to hold. After we read the Christmas scripture that morning, I remember how clear that verse was to me. It was like I had never heard of it before. I'm supposing my "new mother hormones" were in tune to anything remotely resembling nurturing or mothering. I think it's just God's way. I identified with Mary immensely then, holding a newborn child.

Even today...in modern translations like the song Breath of Heaven.... I can understand Mary's cry: I am frightened by the load I bear..., and do you wonder if a wiser one should have had my place? I feel that way so often....my precious children deserve someone wiser and better than what I humanly can give them!! That's when I know that my mothering capabilities are indeed supernatural....from the Lord...in that all the things which are possible, I can do; but the impossible is left to Him.

Just like Jesus' life was to follow a specific plan, our lives and our children's lives were made to follow a specific plan. Often we don't understand or see that plan, (I know I don't sometimes---ok, many times!!) but to an outsider it might look like we are "birthing them in a manger"...so to speak. By that I mean, the circumstances surrounding our children are not necesarily indicative of what God is doing in their and our lives. We must think from the heart, not the head, in things of matter concerning the will of God, and our children. That I must hold to, that I must continue to have faith in.

And, so, like Mary, I am pondering all these things in my heart. I am imagining the faith it must have took for her to believe that she was bearing God's son. I am imagining the strength and wisdom she must have had to ask for, continually. And I know, in the end, whatever the circumstance....He will reign.

But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end. ~Luke 1:30-33
(reposted from the Archives Dec 2007) 

4 comments:

debbie bailey said...

Wonderful post, Andrea. I've often wondered how Mary felt. I bet she was scared to death! Or else, God's grace was so much with her that she wasn't. Maybe it was a little of both at different times?

Gypsy_Cowgirl said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN70R-3ao0U

Merry Christmas, Andrea!

S. Vanessa said...

Beautiful. I think about Mary every Christmas and how much faith and trust it took for her, more than I can fathom.

revivagenix said...

it is inspiring to see people still believe in faith. Happy to have had the time to visit your blog. Keep it up